Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Don Miguel Ruiz: The Four Agreements

A friend visited me while I was bedridden a few months ago, and noticed that I was reading The Celestine Prophecy. She suggested that this book was a nice follow up to that one and mailed it to me. Jane is, by the way, the sort of person who follows up on things she says. So I started reading it and, sure enough, there was a remarkable confluence between the messages of the two books. I was, therefore, expecting to enjoy The Four Agreements as much as I did The Celestine Prophecy. No such luck.

To distill my experience into one phrase, my overall impression was that of listening to a string of vaguely memorable semi-aphorisms mumbled in no particular order by a mildly retarded hillbilly. The author claims to be a master of Toltec wisdom, a fact which reduces my respect for the Toltecs considerably. In fact, it almost feels like he was actually a Los Angeles native who claims to be a Toltec so that his otherwise less than memorable book will have some sort of mystical allure.

Which is a shame, because if the book was reduced to a list of its chapter titles, it would actually be greatly useful. The four agreements themselves are a great distillation of functional living. The problem is that Ruiz goes into such painfully rambling detail about what each of the agreements means. I choose, therefore, to take away from this book the names of the four agreements, and to discard the rest.

Keep Your Word
It's Not About You
Don't Make Shit Up
Do Your Best

No comments: