Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Terry McAdam: Very Much Alive

At first, I resisted reading this book on principle. My Grandfather presumed to recommend it to me on the assumption that I needed bolstering after my accident. The author happens to have been a professor of his forty-odd years ago at Washburn University, and also happens to have been a parapalegic. My immediate reaction was to assure myself that I didn't need any power of positive thinking, Lifetime made for TV movie, inspirational recounting of some guy's pathetic life. But eventually I relented on the grounds that the book is only 150 pages long.

Hidden between the invective about funding for veteran's hospitals and stern admonition to do one's best and keep a stiff upper lip, there is one chapter that I actually found relevant and touching. It seems that one nurse in his recovery ward was particularly beautiful and inaccessible. Wonder of wonders! She fell in love with and married one of the patients, a parapalegic. She actually managed to convince the man that she was attracted to him, and didn't care a sow's nipple about his infirmity. Those of you who know me or have read some of my blog may realize how nice I would think it if a man were to say sincerely, "Now, no more foolishness about [being damaged goods]" (121). I wonder if I will believe him.

No comments: