Monday, February 02, 2009

Mark IV

13:1 This talk of stones reminds me of Peter

13:6 What are the "these things" that the disciples are expecting? Furthermore, why does Jesus act like the answer is to watch out for his return?

13:7-8 Is there any nonprophetic way to take this? At first, I thought he might be referring to his ascension, but it is clear that he means something a little further down the line. What is this presence? I don't see any way to take this that is less than millienalist.

13:9-20 The sad thing is that the Witnesses' explanation of these verse makes perfect sense.

13:23 "I have told you everything" is a pretty broad statement. everything about his messiahship?

13:24-27 This whole chapter is giving me a headache.

13:37 I guess the real question about all of this is has it been fulfilled, either at the occupation of Jerusalem in 70 C.E. or otherwise, or is it more of an apocalyptic, end-of-times sort of thing? In any case, this whole chapter feels completely out of place.

14:5 I still remember a particular insight I had on this verse back when I was a Witness. The 300 Denarii was almost a years wages, so I figure that it represents about 20,000 modern dollars. This means that, while extravagant, it was not beyond the realm of something we would give to somebody we loved if we could afford it. It is not unheard of for somebody to buy a car as a gift, for example. What made this act astonishing was that the gift was, not money, but nard. It is revealing that the nard was in a sealed alabaster jar, one that required it to be broken open, not unscrewed. Some research reveals that Nard was stored in this way because it was an investment. this meant that using the nard on Jesus' feet was the equivalent, not of giving somebody $20,000, but of mailing a stamp worth that much, thus negating its value. It is not needless to say that nobody understood what the hell I was talking about when I made this comment.

14:9 I can picture the writer of Mark being present at this event, and being inspired to write it down.

14:20 Did Judas get revealed to the other disciples in this version?

14:33 Did he separate these three for a reason? Last time, it was rather significant (the transfiguration), so they may well have been remembering that moment here.

14:36 Who's to say what he prayed? nobody was there.

14:37 Did he set them apart to receive special adjuration? Double chastisement?

14:62 Aha! So he does say it!

14:68 Some rock!

15:5 Given Jesus' gift for stumping the Pharisees previously, it almost feels like he was afraid of being too convincing and ruining the prophecy.

15:14 Who are these people? Surely not the same Jews who welcomed him into the city with palm frinds just days before . . .

15:21 Evidently the experience inspired Simon to become a follower. Why else would Mark bother to mention him in such detail?

15:25 I didn't remember the Bible being this specific about the timing.

15:40-41 Evidently the apostles were still being timid . . .

16:misc. I have little to say about this chapter, partly because I am growing weary, and partly because it feels so off-handed. I had never read the section some texts include after verse 14, though, and I find it very revealing. Is the term of Satan's rule really over at this point?

To sum up: The book of Mark feels a little disjointed and cursory, but there are genuinely touching moments, and I declare my liveblogging a success. BTD:4

No comments: