Sunday, January 12, 2014

Jeff Talarigo: The Pearl Diver

As effective as this item was on a basic level--namely a fairly straightforward personal narrative, with some interesting structural elements--I found myself relating to it on a much deeper level.  I doubt very much that the author intended for it to function as a metaphor for the isolation that is fundamental to all human life, but such was its effect on me.  How Is my experience any different from Miss Fuji's?  Trying my best to make human connections and be useful in what is basically an internment camp.  The eponymous character wasn't imprisoned exactly.  She had every opportunity to leave the island and join the rest of society, but she didn't.  When she tried, she found that her ersatz prison was in fact more comfortable, and returned to it. 

And so do I.  I just returned to America for a brief trip, and was nothing but eager to leave that place.  I don't belong there any more.  For better or worse, I have become a part of my prison, of my own making though it is. 

No comments: