Saturday, August 11, 2018

Agatha Christie: Crooked House

She did it again.  She got me.  It has been decades since I read Agatha Christie, enough time to have disarmed me against her singular skill.  What a delicate balance it must be to write a whodunnit that is at once solvable by the reader, and completely unsolvable.  The masterstroke of the genre is the feeling at the end of revealing the reader to have been a dunce, inspiring in her or him the thought "Why didn't I see it before?" 

When combined with Christie's gift for believable dialogue and character, and just a touch of insight into human nature, this volume is the very definition of a good summer read: engaging and enjoyable, but contemplative and rewarding.  As I always say after reading something that takes me less than a week, "I should read more of these."

No comments: