Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Scott McCloud (ed.): 24 Hour Comics

 The nature of this book is such that the project/concept itself is more open to interpretation and reaction than the works it inspired.  Certainly certain among the offerings in this collection are outstanding in their own right.  Neil Gaiman and Steve Bissette, unsurprisingly, contributed my favorites and the latter in particular hit a little too close to home--in exactly the way good art and literature do.  

However it is the phenomenon itself that is most revealing to me.  The idea that extreme time constraints force something out of your subconscious that maybe would have remained buried if you were more at leisure, and that works that come from that deep well are often more vivid and real than things which are more conscious and deliberate, well this idea has a great deal of support from my own personal experience.  I'm sure it's no coincidence that a few days after reading this collection an idea for a short graphic novel sprang fully formed into my consciousness, and I have begun giving birth to it.  It's a shame that my artistic skill is not uup to the task of completing it in 24 hours. 

No comments: