Friday, March 10, 2006

The Pages Creep on Apace

Books I've read since last posting:

Haggai-Malachi

Didn't take much away with me here.

Tobit, Judith, Esther (Greek version)

Fascinating as these stories are, I can understand why they are considered Apocryphal. They just don't live, they don't cut the way the rest of the bible does. Whether this makes them better or worse is open to interpretation, but they are clearly of a different species, more akin to The Decameron than The rest of the Hebrew Scriptures.

Charles Dickens: Nicholas Nickelby

I read this monster simply out of arrogance. I couldn't stand knowing that Mark Hennesy, that bag of wind, had read an iportant book I had not. And glad I am to have read it. That Complete Oxford Illustrated Dickens I bought on a whim five years ago has been gathering far too much dust. And it was enjoyable as well. I disagree with the common complaint that young Nicholas is too perfect, too earnest. He is as tragically flawed as any well written hero in literature, a hot-headed, impetuous, thoughtless, if loyal and stalwart figure.

Interestingly, I believe I have now read as many books so far this year as I did all year 2005.

No comments: