Sunday, April 11, 2010

AFI: 100 years 100 films

Although this blog has been primarily devoted to the written word, its ostensible mission is to chart the effect of ALL media on my thinking, and I have therefore decided to strengthen the attention paid to film. To that end, I am starting with the AFI's list of the 100 best American films, and working my way down.

Having already seen #s 1 and 2 on that list, I feel I should mention my impressions of them. It is clear from both items that enjoyability is nowhere on AFI's list of criteria (a fact easily confirmed). Citizen Kane's place on the list clearly comes from its significance, both in terms of cultural impact (I knew the meaning of "Rosebud" decades before it occurred to me to watch the movie) and cinematic innovation. Fritz Lang was doing similar things with the camera decades earlier, but never so popularly. Of course, Welles' performance is the real point of the movie, and it adds a layer of enjoyability to the layer of significance. Casablanca is clearly more enjoyable than Kane, but also significant in its own way. The catchphrases and romantic tropes are irrevocably woven into American cultural fabric, and all romantic dramas (and comedies) since owe it a great debt.

The Godfather

A riveting example of film making, both from the director and the cast. Scorsese's little touches grace the movie at all points, though never heavily. My favorite example is the bugle in the background as Don Vito is gunned down, a move inspired by Kurt Weill. Brando is brilliant, as always, and possibly my favorite actor at this point in my life, but the real standout is Al Pacino, whose Michael goes through the most believably and seamlessly drastic character arc that readily come to mind. The transformation to Don Michael is visible in every point of his performance, and it makes perfect sense--as though the script was merely an afterthought.

Gone With the Wind

I was not expecting to enjoy this nearly as much as I did, though like The Godfather it could have used a little trim. Both films were epic, not only for their ambition, but also for the amount of story they tried to tackle. Each of the acts in GWTW could easily have been a movie in itself, and still have come across as overly dramatic. The film lost me for a bit with the dozenth tragic death, but claimed my heart in the end with Clark Gable's performance. He managed to make the cad Rhett Butler completely sympathetic, and maybe the only real person in the whole movie. How has this not yet been made into an opera?

Stay tuned: I'm downloading Lawrence of Arabia even now . . .

No comments: