Monday, April 19, 2010

KSCPP: Admiral Yi Sun-Sin

The Korean Social and Cultural Promotion Project is one of the best propaganda machines I have ever witnessed. I was convinced after reading this little booklet that Admiral Yi is the best human being who ever lived, and want to join the navy. Of course, the hyperbole quickly wears off, and one recognizes that he or she has been brainwashed in a small way, but nonetheless, the book is incredibly effective.

And I'm sure there is some truth to the sentiment. Admiral Yi is as renowned in naval circles as he is unknown in other circles. Reading the excerpts from his War Diaries impressed me with how utterly selfish and dedicated he was. As unjustly treated he was, he never complained, or blamed. He took accountability for his own actions, namely the salvation of all Korea.

I want to mention that I took a sick pleasure in the one typo I found in the text of the book. I can picture the horror of the KSCPP when they discovered it, and the sacking of the entire editorial department. Admiral Yi Sun-Sin did not, after all, have a War Dairy, as amusing as the idea of vicious battle cows is.

No comments: