Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Hirotaka Kisaragi: BrotherXBrother

Just another breezy graphic novel, written in Japanese, read in Korean, and written about in English.  Nothing literary or groundbreaking.  And yet . . .

One does wonder about the theme.  Love between (albeit half-) brothers taken to the extreme is appropriate in a Japanese graphic novel.  Certainly not my fetish.  But there is something about the brotherly aspect of male romantic relationships that is undeniably attractive.  It is this dynamic that sets us apart from our straight counterparts, in my opinion, and I have for some years been campaigning to get us our own word, proposing "Theban" as a counterpart to "Lesbian" (to no success).

There are really only two things I want, after all: someone to watch over, and someone to watch over me.  A younger brother, and an older brother.  The three of us against the world,

No comments: