Friday, August 04, 2023

David F. Vennells: Beginner's Guide to Reiki

 Well, I guess I've found my new thing.  There are books in my life that I enjoy, not because they are masterful works of literature, but because as I am reading them, they are reading me back.  the works of Philip K. Dick are a key example of this: they are not particularly well-crafted, but whenever I pick them up they speak to something deeply personal and eerily real in my life at that moment.   

It is similar with this book.  It is not particularly well-written, and didn't contain any deep and profound truths that changed the way I think about or see things.  nonetheless, every time I picked it up to read a few chapters, a feeling of peace and energy came over me, as if to say, "This is the path for you right now.  Keep going."  

So I did.  I don't know that this book is even that good of an introduction to Reiki, just as I have my doubts about the level 1 Reiki course I took while reading it.  In these cases, however, the medium is not the message.  The words and exercises themselves were almost incidental to the experience of simply being on a path that feels right.  The question remains, however: where to go from here?  And even as I write it, the answer comes to me.  "Don't worry. You are already going there."

No comments: